The Spheros SW is Shimano's entry level saltwater spinning reel and contains many features found on high end models like X-ship gearing for maximum winding power, hybrid X-Shield body, XGT-7 X-Protect rotor and Super Stopper II. Available in five sizes the versatile 5000, 6000 and 8000 sizes are perfect for casting, spinning and vertical jigging, whilst the larger 10000 and 20000 sizes have increased line capacities and drag ratings making them suitable for big game fish like tuna and GT's.
All sizes have AR-C cold forged aluminium spools for excellent casting performance and strength. The Spheros SW is the perfect first time salt water spinning reel or for use as a safety back-up for anglers with more expensive models.
Shimano Spheros Saltwater Fishing Reel Features
- Hagane Gear - is produced by Shimano's coldforging technology, without the need for additional machining. This delivers a longlasting smoothness, strength, lightness and power at the very heart of the reel. Traditional diecast, machined gears are less durable under heavy loads.
- XShip - is a combination of features that work together to create much greater efficiency. By positioning the pinion gear close to the centre line of the large diameter drive gear, more power is transferred from the handle to the rotor. The pinion gear is also supported by two Shimano ARB roller bearings. This creates more stability.
- Hagane Body - The HAGANE Body is produced from highrigidity aluminium or magnesium. This creates stiffness and impact resistance, while at the same time eliminating flexing of the body. The result is a rocksolid housing and support for the moving internal gearing and greater efficiency throughout the reel.
- XShield - By providing dependable sealing structures and gaskets at necessary points, including the reel body and lid joint and the contact point of the spool and drag knob, possible water ingress is blocked. This double protection provides high reliability and durability to the STELLA SW when used in extreme saltwater conditions.
- XProtect - The contact type triplelip structure is introduced to the roller clutch, the pivotal point concerning water resistance. In this structure, the first lip prevents water from entering through the space between the rotor and the body. In addition, the special grease between the second and third lip where it makes contact with the rotor collar located at the upper part of the roller clutch not only resists water from entering but also minimizes friction resistance. Without jeopardizing the 'silky smooth rotation capacity', the vital feature of STELLA SW, exceptional water resistance, has been achieved to withstand the crashing and splashing of waves and spray.
- ARC Spool - Shimano ARC Spool is a patented spool design with an angled spool lip. This design enables the line to leave the spool with less friction and in smaller coils resulting in longer more accurate casts. ARC spools are proven to reduce backlash and wind knots when using braid.
- S ARB - Shimano S ARB bearings are high corrosion resistant ARB ball bearings with an extra shield for improved protection against sand, salt or dust.
- Cap Bail - Cold Forged Aluminium Cold Forged aluminium is used for some 'round' reels, fly reels and is also used for many types of spool. Made from one single piece of aluminium Cold Forging produces great strength.
- DynaBalance - DynaBalance reduces wobble during the retrieve by counter balancing the rotor to enhance sensitivity and smoothness. By using computer balancing Shimano are able to redistribute the rotor weight to create eliminate vibrations.
- Floating Shaft II - The key friction area on most fixed spool reels is where the spool drive shaft meets the pinion. Shimano designers have overcome this by reducing a large percentage of surface area contact and incorporating bearings on either side of the shaft. The resultant design leaves the shaft in a 'floating' position, considerably improving efficiency and longevity.
- Hybrid Body - are produced from a combination of aluminium and XT7. This combination retains maximum strength exactly where required.
- Hypergear - The precision engineered main Hypergear transmits more power from the handle to the rotor. Designed to exacting tolerances, it requires less effort but returns more retrieve playing torque with vastly reduced component wear.
- Power Roller - The special grooved design of the Shimano Power Roller significantly reduces line twist and is a big advantage when using thin mono and braid.
- Super Stopper II - eliminates backward movement and free play in the handle when the reel is set in antireverse.
- Varispeed II - Varispeed and the latest version called VariSpeed II oscillation system moves with two variable speeds to lay the line flat and smooth onto the spool. This provides troublefree, longer distant casts.
- Waterproof Drag - Using special protection gaskets, the drag is protected against the intrusion of water for more consistent drag performance.