Diamond Top Shot Mono Wind-On Leaders are easy to install using a simple loop to loop connection.
Since the popularity of the new ultra-thin Spectra braided lines has grown, offshore fishermen have been able to greatly increase their favourite reels capacity. Many have found that if they leave a little braid off and top up their reels with monofilament, they are able to take advantage of the features that each has to offer.
Not only do you keep the higher capacity and the non-stretch features of braid for better hooksets but you gain the low visibility, shock absorbing, abrasion resistance and handling characteristics of mono. On top of the added fish catching abilities of this combination, there is quite a cost savings when adding the mono.
Just change out a Top Shot after a good fish or when it shows signs of wear and leave the expensive braid on for a couple years or more. Keeping three or four spools of different breaking strength Diamond Top Shots on board makes it simple to easily change your line to your targeted species.
How to join a Wind-On or a Top Shot to your main line using a Cat’s-Paw Knot
The Cat’s-Paw knot is simply a loop-to-loop connection between the doubled mainline and the braided loop on your top shot, your wind-on leader or both This knot provides a 100 per cent strong connection and has no tag ends so it travels smoothly through your rod’s guides and tip.
- First, make a small loop using either a short Bimini Twist or if you’re using hollow core Dacron or Spectra, splice a loop at the end of your mainline.
- Pass the mainline loop through the tag end of the top shot or wind-on loop.
- Then pass the front end of the leader or top shot back through mainline loop.
- Align both loops and pass the leader or wind-on through the centre two or three more times.
- Slowly tighten pulling from both directions making sure to adjust the mainline loop and wind-on loop to keep everything straight during the tension process.